Cryptocurrencies and Anti-Money Laundering Training
The Basel Institute on Governance is offering a four-day training course on the fundamentals of cryptocurrencies, financial crime and anti-money laundering (AML) compliance. Delivered virtually over four 3-hour sessions, the course aims to help practitioners from a wide range of law enforcement, financial and business sectors prevent, detect and investigate the use of cryptocurrencies for illicit activities. Policymakers, regulators and investigative journalists will also benefit from the comprehensive introduction to virtual assets and blockchain analysis, due diligence and risk management, including the implications of EU anti-money laundering directives (AMLDs) and ultimate beneficial ownership (UBO) requirements. The workshop centres around a practical money laundering case scenario, in which participants will investigate the “cleaning” of stolen assets for integration into the financial system by tracing transactions through the blockchain. The course draws on the popular Money Laundering using Cryptocurrency training programme of the Basel Institute’s International Centre of the Asset Recovery, which is offered exclusively to government agencies in partner countries.
- Target audience: This course is open to all students, officers and professionals seeking to navigate the world of virtual assets and financial crime. This includes investigators, prosecutors, members of Financial Intelligence Units, lawyers, AML/CFT and compliance professionals, FinTech/RegTech practitioners, plus investigative journalists.
- Participants: 5 to 30.
- Delivery method: Instructor-led course delivered virtually via video conference and the Basel Institute’s LEARN platform. The course combines presentations, group discussions and practical exercises.
- Costs: CHF 500 per person. Reduced rate of CHF 200 for members of public-sector, multilateral, non-profit and academic organizations, plus independent journalists.
- Language: English.
- Timing: Three hours per day over four consecutive days.
- Certificate: Provided to participants who attend for the full duration of the course.