Improve your online searches, research and investigations
OVERVIEWThis virtual course will show you how to conduct better internet searches, research, background checks, due diligence and investigations.
About this event
What will you learn?The course will provide delegates with an improved knowledge of performing and recording internet based enquiries. Following the workshop delegates will:
- Be able to structure an investigation to obtain necessary evidence and comply with relevant legislation
- Understand how to determine beneficial ownership for complex corporate structures and property
- Be able to identify and use Open Source Information
- Be able to ask more focused questions and arrive at quicker robust decisions
Who is it for?This is suitable for people working in HR , procurement, compliance, investigations, journalism, security, housing enforcement, environmental health, healthcare and anyone who needs to find information about people or companies on the internet.
Why should I attend?We are all living in a digital as well as real world. Now more than ever the key information that we need to make risk based decisions is available online. The trick is knowing where and how to look in a legal, fair and ethical way which doesn’t infringe upon rights to privacy. Ensuring the information obtained can be used in a variety of ways including court proceedings if necessary.
How will it be delivered?This is a virtual course delivered using a mixture of structured self-learning and live zoom sessions. The day will be comprised of informative and interactive sessions designed to give the delegates a thorough understanding, utilise the tools available and inspire confidence and best practice. All delegates will be required to get involved in team exercises and open conversation. Our experience shows that this is the best way to ensure delegates leave with a thorough understanding of the topic. The sessions and group feedback will be delivered via live zoom calls and the exercises will be completed individually offline.
What will we cover?Key topics include:
- Understanding the basics of an investigation, the key legal constraints and common mistakes.
- How organised criminals infiltrate genuine organisations – when to escalate to other relevant agencies
- Structuring an investigation
- The key elements of an investigation: terms of reference and agreed objectives, roles and responsibilities, investigation planning, gathering & recording evidence.
- Investigating the Surface Web
- Investigating the Deep Web
- What company information is available in the UK and overseas and where to find it
- Property searches – Land Registry and beyond
- Exploring Social Media
- Other data sources
- Introduction to the Dark Web and when it might be important