Roundtable: So, you want to be a Virtual Asset Service Provider?
About this Event
Roundtable: So, you want to be a Virtual Asset Service Provider? Regulation, Supervision and Money Laundering (& MiCA)Thursday 6th May 2021 at 15:00 Irish / UK time (10:00 US ET) This is our 6th free webinar in our current series of Fintech Ireland webinars! We look forward to welcoming you. ** Our most recent Newsletter is here: https://mailchi.mp/a514139cc5f3/fintech-ireland-newsletter-april-2021-0401 ** Subscribe to it for detail of events and priority notifications here What: Roundtable: So, you want to be a Virtual Asset Service Provider? Covers being crypto exchange, custodian wallet provider, offer or sell VAs. Join leading regulatory and VASP experts Peter Oakes, Founder of Fintech Ireland and CompliReg, Stephen Fletcher, Consultant at CompliReg, Samantha Sheen, Director Ex Ante Advisory Limited and Podcaster, Captivated Audience (former Stripe MLRO and Financial Crime Compliance Officer for EMEA) and several other subject matter experts for this event, including Mai Santamaria from the Department of Finance who will ‘pop-in’ for a short discussion about the MiCA Regulation* – an important regulation impacting VASPs. * MiCA Regulation is the Proposal for the Markets in Crypto-assets Regulation 2020/0265 (COD) In-depth discussion on not only the regulation of, but the opportunities and challenges for Ireland’s, virtual asset industry. FinTech Ireland is partnering with CompliReg and other subject matter experts to deliver a webinar on the new requirements for Virtual Asset Service Providers which took effect in Ireland on Friday 23rd April. Several firms may be able to avail of the 3-month transition period for registration. While they have a head start on other firms that must register before servicing clients, what obligations do transitioning firms have right now? What is the registration process and what are the regulatory, legal and compliance obligations for VASPs. CompliReg is currently working on several virtual asset applications. When: Thursday 6th May 2021. 15:00 Irish/UK time (10:00 am US Eastern Time). Where: Online Event Cost: Free Registration: Register via the button on this Eventbrite page. SEE “IMPORTANT NOTICE” BELOW ABOUT PRE-REQUISITES FOR YOUR REQUEST TO JOIN EVENT. Going forward to receive priority notice of our events, join our mailing list – Subscribe Here. Regulator Information – Did You Know: Source – Central Bank of Ireland
- The European Union’s Fifth Anti-Money Laundering Directive (‘5AMLD’) extended Anti-Money Laundering and Countering the Financing of Terrorism (‘AML/CFT’) obligations to entities that provide certain services relating to virtual assets.
- Ireland transposed 5AMLD into Irish law by way of the Criminal Justice (Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing) (Amendment) Act 2021 (‘2021 Act’) and the provisions of the 2021 Act that relate to VASPs commenced on 23 April 2021.
- The 2021 Act extends the Criminal Justice (Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing) Acts 2010 to 2021 (‘CJA 2010 to 2021’) to VASPs. For the purposes of the legislation, VASPs are firms that provide any of the following services relating to virtual assets:
- exchange between virtual assets and fiat currencies;
- exchange between one or more forms of virtual assets;
- transfer of virtual assets, that is to say, to conduct a transaction on behalf of another person that moves a virtual asset from one virtual asset address or account to another;
- custodian wallet provider; and
- participation in, and provision of, financial services related to an issuer’s offer or sale of a virtual asset or both.