REGULATORY R&D MANAGER (PAYMENTS)
Wealthsimple is on a mission to help everyone achieve financial freedom, no matter who they are or how much they have. Using smart technology, Wealthsimple takes financial services that are often confusing, opaque and expensive and makes them simple, transparent, and low-cost. We’re the company behind some of Canada’s leading digital financial products, and are growing faster than ever.
Our team is reimagining what it means to manage your money. Smart, high-performing team members will challenge you to learn and grow every day. We value great work and great ideas — not ego. We’re looking for talented people who love a fast-paced environment and want to ship often and make an impact with groundbreaking ideas.
We’re a remote-first team and output is more important than face time, so where you choose to work is up to you — as long as you have internet access, you can work from anywhere in Canada. Be a part of our Canadian success story and help shape the financial future of millions — join us! Read our Culture Manual and learn more about how we work.
At Wealthsimple, we are building products for a diverse world and we need a diverse team to do that successfully. We strongly encourage applications from everyone regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. Wealthsimple provides an accessible candidate experience. If you need any accommodations or adjustments throughout the interview process and beyond, please let us know.
Reporting to Wealthsimple’s Director, Regulatory Research and Development, the Regulatory R&D Manager will be responsible for supporting Wealthsimple’s expansion into new product areas and growth initiatives. This role will require attention to detail, innovative thought, resourcefulness, and the ability to apply a pragmatic approach to the work at hand. The ideal candidate will be willing to experiment, move quickly (but responsibly) and focus on results. Bottom line: we are looking for someone with the ambition, expertise and character to play a meaningful role in building a Canadian fintech champion.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to:
- Support cross-functional product teams on the design of compliant products by researching applicable regulatory requirements
- Communicate applicable risks, costs, progress, and results to all relevant internal and external stakeholders
- Use data to inform and influence the direction of the product team roadmaps and inform business decisions
- Support due diligence work required to evaluate third party vendors and third party partnerships for new products and growth initiatives
- Knowledge in payments innovation including future technologies such as real-time payments rails, stablecoins, CBDC etc.
- Support special project work assigned
- Remain up-to-date on regulatory changes and landscape, best practices and cutting-edge developments in the industry
- Support the development of Wealthsimple’s regulatory programs by developing controls and testing frameworks to evaluate the effectiveness of the program
- Support regulatory examinations and third party audits
- Create, identify and provide insight into metrics that will improve performance and drive decisions
- Using SQL, build reports and dashboards for ongoing monitoring and regulatory requests
- Ensure that all applicable laws, rules, regulations as well as corporate requirements are addressed and build appropriate risk assessment, testing, monitoring, and employee training tools
We’re looking for someone who:
- Has 4+ years with regulatory/compliance programs; issues management, risk assessment, aggregate reporting, compliance training, and change management in a financial services firm, regulatory organization, or legal/consulting firm
- Has experience building reports and dashboards using SQL
- Is a motivated self-starter with effective leadership qualities
- Brings knowledge and understanding of payment network entities, such as Interac, Mastercard, Visa and others
- Has knowledge of PCI-DSS and/or PA-DSS compliant environment
- Is knowledgeable about anti-money laundering regulations
- Has experience working with payment processors and bank partners
- Brings experience dealing with regulators such as OSFI, FINTRAC, FCAC, CPA
- Has advanced analytical skills and the ability to proactively identify regulatory issues
- Is an excellent project manager with organizational skills and the capability to handle multiple projects at one time
- Appropriately assesses risk/reward relationships when making decisions
- Takes ownership and leads projects with a proactive, not reactive, approach; and is able to independently drive initiatives to conclusion
- Performs well in a high pressure, time-sensitive environment
- Understands competing priorities, finding opportunities for efficiency in regulatory implementation