About the job
CoinSmart is on a mission to make cryptocurrency accessible to everyone. Breaking down the barriers of complex and confusing crypto transactions, CoinSmart offers simple solutions, learning tools for all levels, and 24/7 client support.
If you have a passion for developing, implementing and managing an organization’s corporate-wide compliance program, you’ve come to the right place. We are searching for an experienced Compliance Officer to join the CoinSmart team to help build a scalable cryptocurrency platform developed with the end user in mind. This is a full time position located in Toronto and reporting directly into our Chief Compliance Officer. The role will work collaboratively with our dev, product and support team.
What You’ll Do
- Assist with the day to day responsibilities of the Compliance department including, but not limited to:
- Risk assessments;
- Best execution practices;
- business continuity;
- records retention;
- Transaction monitoring and approvals;
- Marketing materials review; and
- NRD Submissions.
- Maintain evidence of compliance reviews/monitoring in accordance with regulations and the firm’s policies and procedures
- Monitor adherence to internal Compliance policies and procedures to ensure effectiveness of the compliance function
- Interact with other internal departments on compliance matters
- Provide advice on compliance and regulatory risk matters
- Identify areas of non-compliance, making recommendations for appropriate corrective action
- Conduct detailed investigations into potential money laundering red flags, provide analysis and recommendation
- Conduct analysis of digital currency movements
- Support colleagues throughout CoinSmart as a source of Compliance information
- Assist in the design and development of appropriate policies and procedures
Requirements and Qualifications
- Minimum 5 years experience within the securities industry as a Compliance Officer, preferably for an Investment Dealer and/or IIROC member
- Strong experience and working knowledge of Canadian securities law and regulatory requirements across Canada
- Ability to apply trading practices, market structure and risk factors associated with the securities to Crypto Assets
- Good understanding of FINTRAC’s PCMLTFA as it applies to AML, client identification, beneficial ownership, identifying and reporting STR’s, etc.
- Experience of using cryptocurrency monitoring and investigation software such as Chainalsysis would be an asset’
- Knowledge of IIROC marketing and advertising guidelines
- Verbal & written communication skills – In-depth
- Collaboration & team skills – In-depth
- Analytical and problem-solving skills – In-depth
- Data driven decision making – In-depth
- Canadian Securities Course (CSC) – required
- Conduct & Practices Handbook Exam – asset
- Flexibility in working style and hours and a willingness to adapt with a fast-changing industry.
- Sense of humour and ability to have FUN!
Why You Want to Join the CoinSmart Team
- We’re a hard working team of engineers, marketers, designers, finance and operations professionals with diverse backgrounds and industry experience.
- We have an open door policy and pride ourselves on collaborative communication.
- We’ve made it super simple to buy, sell and trade cryptocurrency, ensuring our clients have all of the support and educational resources they need to feel comfortable and confident investing with us.
- In less than 3 years, we’ve become one of the largest, FINTRAC regulated exchanges in Canada. We’re in the process of expanding to Europe and the U.S. and this is just the beginning!
- CoinSmart has recently submitted its application for registration as a dealer with the OSC and the securities regulatory authorities in all other provinces and territories of Canada.
- At CoinSmart, we work hard and run fast but always ensure we’re having fun along the way.
- Health benefits – medical, dental and vision coverage
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Competitive salary and generous stock options
- Choose your own hardware
- Regular team building activities and events
CoinSmart is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+ applicants