Branch Compliance Officer (BCO)
Job Family Group
Are you a bilingual (English and French) retiree with banking experience? If so, we want to hear from you!! We are seeking retired BMO team members for a contract opportunity. If you are looking at going back into the workplace and taking on a challenging term contract position, all while working from home, this position is for you.
Supports the business/group leader in the effective implementation, maintenance and administration of first line of defense (1st LOD) programs (e.g., operational risk, AML, compliance, regulatory, etc.), including overseeing business operations within the jurisdiction to ensure adherence and efficiency. Contributes to a strong risk management culture through collaboration with other first line employees, and second & third line functions to ensure Compliance, AML or operational risks are identified, mitigated, monitored and reported on an ongoing basis.
- Supports a single business unit with corresponding number of regulators.
- Supports the implementation of risk management programs/frameworks.
- Supports the execution of strategic initiatives in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders.
- Builds effective relationships with internal/external stakeholders.
- Ensures alignment between stakeholders.
- Gathers and formats data into regular and ad-hoc reports, and dashboards.
- Builds change management plans of varying scope and type; leads or participates in a variety of change management activities including readiness assessments, planning, stakeholder management, execution, evaluation and sustainment of initiatives.
- Monitoring to ensure that 1st line jobs are following defined processes and procedures.
- Develops, documents and maintains business/group procedures updating and obtaining approvals as regulations or the operating environment changes and communicates changes to the business/group & relevant stakeholder groups.
- Supports the development of measurable sustainment strategies including assessing and recommending mitigations for industry/ segment-specific risks and prioritizing opportunities presented by internal and external stakeholders.
- Tracks exception/exemption requests and corresponding approvals.
- Builds awareness, knowledge, and skills and, as necessary, provides communication, practical tools and ongoing support including making presentations, to promote a culture of risk identification and management.
- Supports the management of 1st LOD program for the business/group in compliance with appropriate principles, standards & direction from the second line of defense groups. Includes developing and promoting program and ensuring the execution of all program components.
- Works with assigned business/group leaders to implement 1st LOD programs and frameworks, developing and maintaining an in-depth understanding of the applicable regulatory and internal risk management requirements. Interprets and provides advice on the application of the requirements for the business/group.
- Develops and maintains an understanding of the business/group strategies and objectives, products and services, internal and external stakeholders and business processes as well as the underlying infrastructure to identify and manage implications and risk exposures for the business/group.
- Identifies, investigates, analyzes, documents & mitigates program risks, taking into account jurisdictional issues, and raises any issues or concerns to senior leaders and other stakeholders.
- Analyzes the impact and effectiveness of the program through periodic reviews.
- Recommends adjustments to the overall program, policy or processes within the business/group in accordance with the Risk Appetite Statement, Governance and Corporate Policy.
- Supports the business/group through internal/external audits or regulatory examinations and assists in development of action plans to resolve any identified issues.
- Provides support to the development and delivery of training and awareness programs within the business/group to increase awareness of and compliance to risk management requirements.
- Focus may be on a business/group.
- Thinks creatively and proposes new solutions.
- Exercises judgment to identify, diagnose, and solve problems within given rules.
- Works mostly independently.
- Broader work or accountabilities may be assigned as needed. Qualifications:
- Typically between 3 – 5 years of relevant experience and post-secondary degree in related field of study or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Program Management - Good.
- Specialized knowledge from education and/or business experience.
- Verbal & written communication skills - In-depth.
- Collaboration & team skills - In-depth.
- Analytical and problem solving skills - In-depth.
- Influence skills - In-depth.
- Bilingual English and French is a requirement
- BCO certification